WMTA Hungarian Music Piano Competition 2024
Date: February 25, 2024
Location: Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ,
1 Westmoreland Circle, Bethesda, Md.
Application Fee: $28 per student, WMTA member;
$78 per student, non-WMTA member
Postmark deadline: January 15, 2024
ALL WMTA RULES APPLY
Eligibility: Students through the 12th grade
Repertoire requirements: All solo pieces by Bartok, Liszt, Kodaly, Dohnanyi, Ligeti and Kurtag. Performers may perform pieces by any of the above composers, not exceeding the time limit. Liszt transcriptions are allowed. All repertoire must be memorized.
Description of event:
The Hungarian Competition will be held in Recital Format scheduled by Level. Each student will be assigned a specific arrival time after the application deadline. Students must arrive at least 10 minutes before their recital group is to begin and are required to stay for their entire recital group.
- Please do not program more pieces than your level permits. If total performance time exceeds the time limit, performers will be stopped without penalty.
- Performers must provide the judges with their music with measures numbered.
- Students having two (or three) selections may choose the order of their pieces.
- Rating sheets will be provided at the competition.
All participants are responsible for complying with U.S. copyright law. For use of copied or downloaded materials, please refer to the WMTA General Rules. http://wmta-dc.org/pdfs/rules.pdf
Teachers of participating students should be prepared to help on the day of the competition. If a teacher is unable to help, please refer to the WMTA rules regarding the use of a substitute. http://wmta-dc.org/pdfs/rules.pdf Chairperson must give prior approval for any substitute.
Time Limits and Cash Awards:
Results will be announced directly after the conclusion of each Recital Group
- Awards: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place cash prizes in all levels.
- Honorable Mentions will be awarded at the discretion of the judges.
- All students will receive critiques and certificates.
Level 1: (Grades K-2) 3-minute limit
1st Place: $25 2nd Place: $15 3rd Place: $10
Level 2: (Grades 3-4) 4-minute limit
1st Place: $40 2nd Place: $25 3rd Place: $15
Level 3: (Grades 5-6) 6 min limit
1st Place: $50 2nd Place: $35 3rd Place: $20
Level 4: (Grades 7-8) 8-minute limit
1st Place: $75 2nd Place: $50 3rd Place: $25
Level 5: (Grades 9-10) 10-minute limit
1st Place: $100 2nd Place: $75 3rd Place: $50
Level 6: (Grades 11-12) 12-minute limit
1st Place: $200 2nd Place: $150 3rd Place: $100