VMTA FALL FESTIVAL
Activities/Competition Information is located in the 2018-2019 Activities Google File
Audition/Exam/Competition days and times will be found in the Activities Google File
If you are allowed to request a participation time, this will be clearly stated on our website on the event's information page.
A studiowide email will alert you when times for specific events are posted. This information will be posted as soon as I receive it.
Specific activity information is located on our studio website on the scroll down menue under the ACTIVITIES main heading
If you need an adjudication sheet one will be given to you at the lesson preceding the event. Otherwise, no sheet is required. If the student is to take a judging sheet that information will be included in the activitie's page on the studio website.
Make certain that you check ONE MONTH before any activity to ensure you have original copies of music being performed
Without a Photocopy release form (available only for unpublished music) photocopies are never allowed at events, and results in disqualification.
Late arrival results in disqualification
Leaving before the assigned performance group results in disqualification
Arguing/complaining to the event chairman results in disqualification
Disputing results or interchanges with event judges results in disqualification
As representatives of our studio, please be so kind to read the Performance Guidelines found in the online handbook.
- NOVEMBER 10, 2018 FALL FESTIVAL TIMES-----------------------------------
- SUPERIORS!! Congratulations!
- Cross, Charles
- Peng, Gregory
- Students must bring 2 rating sheets which I will give them at their lesson preceding the festival.
- Students must provide one published score with all measures numbered, and which must not bear the student’s or teacher’s name..
- This festival is in audition format. No one is allowed in the audition room except for the performer and two judges. Students do not receive cumulative points as in other festivals. They receive written comments and ratings, and a certificate of participation.
No time requests allowed
NVMTA JUDGING LEVELS AND PLAYING TIMES
1-3 years study*5 minutes
4-7 years study7 minutes
8 or more years study10 minutes*This festival is not recommended for those who have studied less than one year.
Entry Fee $15.00
FALL FESTIVAL REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
Two memorized compositions: one in the contemporary idiom from the 20th or 21st century and a second piece from any other period. Both selections must be played from memory, unless a piece uses non- traditional notation. No simplifications, transcriptions, or popular songs allowed. Contemporary settings of folk songs are acceptable, especially for beginning students. Multi-movement works are allowed if they fit the time limit. Impressionistic pieces must fall into one of the contemporary idioms in order to be listed as the contemporary selection.
On the application, please substantiate that the contemporary composition reflects one of the following idioms by noting its number and letter. For example: 1a, 2c, etc:
- Melodies are fragmented, irregular, or disjunctive.
- Significant parts of the piece, or even the whole piece, lack melody.
- The melody is constructed by chance or serial technique.
- The melody is built from non-traditional scales such as modes, a scale with “blue” notes, etc.
- Chords are unrelated to a major-minor system—clusters, altered chords, quartal or quintal harmony.
- The composer makes simultaneous use of two chords or keys (bitonality).
- The piece is not in any definable key (atonality).
- Unresolved dissonance is common.
- The piece or large parts of it contain no bar lines.
- The meter is irregular, such as 5/4.
- There are frequent meter or tempo changes.
- Cross rhythms (polyrhythms)—5 against 4, 7 against 8, etc.—are prominent.
- Jazz rhythms prevail.
- Other considerations
- Non-traditional notation.
- Knocking, tapping or plucking some part of the instrument not traditionally used in this way.
- Use of prepared piano.
- Use of extreme range on the instrument.
Here is a list of repertoire used in 2013 which you may view online: Fall Festival Repertoire or download as a spreadsheet for your reference: Repertoire for Fall Festival 2013
NVMTA supports the use of published musical scores. If a photocopy must be used, the NVMTA Copyright Release Form, signed by a parent or teacher, must be submitted to the chairman by email or postmarked at least one week prior to the event. Please submit this form also for music purchased or downloaded from the internet. Students using photocopies (or anything resembling a photocopy), either for themselves or the judges, without having provided the Copyright Release Form by this deadline, may play for comments only.
Student Audition Time Room
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST TAKE JUDGING SHEETS TO THIS EVENT. YOUR PRINTED JUDGING SHEETS ARE IN WHITE ENVELOPES ON THE STUDIO COFFEE TABLE IN THE WOODEN BOX. REMEMBER TO LOOK FOR THE ENVELOPE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT, TAKE THE ENVELOPE HOME, AND REMEMBER TO TAKE IT ON NOVEMBER 10TH TO FALL FESTIVAL ALONG WITH THE ORIGINAL (NO PHOTOCOPY UNLESS PREVIOUSLY ARRANGED) MUSIC FOR THE JUDGES. AFTER YOU PERFORM REMEMBER TO GET YOUR MUSIC BACK TO TAKE HOME WITH YOU!! The judging sheets will be mailed to me in a week or so.
Exploring music of the 21st century
Cherrydale United Methodist Church, 3701 Lorcom Lane, Arlington, VA 22207