VMTA FALL FESTIVAL
FALL FESTIVAL REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
Two memorized compositions: one in the contemporary idiom from the 20th or 21st century and a second piece from any other period. Both selections must be played from memory, unless a piece uses non- traditional notation. No simplifications, transcriptions, or popular songs allowed. Contemporary settings of folk songs are acceptable, especially for beginning students. Multi-movement works are allowed if they fit the time limit. Impressionistic pieces must fall into one of the contemporary idioms in order to be listed as the contemporary selection.
On the application, please substantiate that the contemporary composition reflects one of the following idioms by noting its number and letter. For example: 1a, 2c, etc:
- Melodies are fragmented, irregular, or disjunctive.
- Significant parts of the piece, or even the whole piece, lack melody.
- The melody is constructed by chance or serial technique.
- The melody is built from non-traditional scales such as modes, a scale with “blue” notes, etc.
- Chords are unrelated to a major-minor system—clusters, altered chords, quartal or quintal harmony.
- The composer makes simultaneous use of two chords or keys (bitonality).
- The piece is not in any definable key (atonality).
- Unresolved dissonance is common.
- The piece or large parts of it contain no bar lines.
- The meter is irregular, such as 5/4.
- There are frequent meter or tempo changes.
- Cross rhythms (polyrhythms)—5 against 4, 7 against 8, etc.—are prominent.
- Jazz rhythms prevail.
- Other considerations
- Non-traditional notation.
- Knocking, tapping or plucking some part of the instrument not traditionally used in this way.
- Use of prepared piano.
- Use of extreme range on the instrument.
Here is a list of repertoire used in 2013 which you may view online: Fall Festival Repertoire or download as a spreadsheet for your reference: Repertoire for Fall Festival 2013
NVMTA supports the use of published musical scores. If a photocopy must be used, the NVMTA Copyright Release Form, signed by a parent or teacher, must be submitted to the chairman by email or postmarked at least one week prior to the event. Please submit this form also for music purchased or downloaded from the internet. Students using photocopies (or anything resembling a photocopy), either for themselves or the judges, without having provided the Copyright Release Form by this deadline, may play for comments only.
Student Audition Time Room
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST TAKE JUDGING SHEETS TO THIS EVENT. YOUR PRINTED JUDGING SHEETS will be in WHITE ENVELOPES ON THE STUDIO COFFEE TABLE "Wooden Box" 1 week prior to Festival! REMEMBER TO LOOK FOR THE ENVELOPE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT, TAKE THE ENVELOPE HOME, AND REMEMBER TO TAKE IT TO FALL FESTIVAL ALONG WITH THE ORIGINAL (NO PHOTOCOPY UNLESS PREVIOUSLY ARRANGED) MUSIC FOR THE JUDGES. AFTER YOU PERFORM REMEMBER TO GET YOUR MUSIC BACK TO TAKE HOME WITH YOU!!
The completed judging sheets will be mailed to me in a week or so & you can pick them up from the "Wooden Box".
Exploring music of the 21st century
Cherrydale United Methodist Church, 3701 Lorcom Lane, Arlington, VA 22207